Flint’s Water Crisis: The Outbreak Of Lead Exposure
The city of Flint began planning the switch on its water supply from the city of Detroit to the Flint river. This was to provide a temporary fix while the Karegnodi Water Authority’s construction of a pipeline from Lake Huron, which was to eliminate its long time usuage on Detroit city water.
After the change in the Flint water source, residents of the city discovered that their water not only looked and smelled bad but contained dangerous levels of lead. Reportedly, almost 27,000 residents while mostly children had high levels of lead in their blood.
In November, of 2015, several families filed federal class actions lawsuits in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan in the city of Detroit against Governor Rick Synder as well as several other city and state officials.
On January 5, 2016, the city declared a state of emergency by the governor then a couple weeks later President Obama also declared the city of Flint to be in a state of emergency. Thus, having the Department of Homeland Security helping and aiding this problem.
In January of last year a Flint physician found high levels of lead in the blood of the children of Flint. Meanwhile, the Department of Environment Quality still insisted that the water was safe to drink.
A researcher, from Virginia Tech, Marc Edwards, found the Flint water to be “corrosive”. He also stated that he was shocked that authorities that were suppose to protect the citizens consciously covered up the situation.
“The extent to which they went to cover this up exposes a new level of arrogance and uncaring that I have never encountered.”
The water has now been switched back to the city of Detriot with water pumping from Lake Huron. But it will still cost close to around a billion dollars to fix this troubling situation which could have been avoided if they weren’t trying to save $5 million in the first place. Knowing that they were harming citizens on purpose and tried to hide it in an effort to save money is disgusting and sickening.